Medically reviewed by
Minutes to read: 12 minutes
Medical tourism in the United Mexican States attracts about 1 million health visitors annually from the US alone. And in agreement with Patients Beyond Borders, up to 3 million trans-border patients come to Mexico for medical attention. Mexico’s health tourism generates $23 billion in revenue.
The state is the second strongest medical tourism target place throughout the world. It is only slightly behind Thailand, which registers 1.8 million seekers each year. Nonetheless, in the field of dentistry, Mexico has overtaken its competitors to become the world dominant in the dental work providing.
Among the Mexican states with the astounding popularity in the dental tourism area are Baja California, El Norte (Northern Mexico), Tamaulipas, Quintana Roo, and Riviera Maya.
Why Mexico? — 7 reasons to favor dental implants in the land of Mayans and Aztecs
- Cost-effectiveness — the financial savings on dental implant surgeries in Mexico in contrast with the United States, Canada, or Britain are significant — up to 80%. In keeping with the Bookimed internal data, the expenditure for dental implants in Mexico starts from $680, when in the USA, the same operation costs from $1,500, in Canada from $3,000, and in the United Kingdom from $3,350.
- Distance — Mexico is located close to the United States and Canada — there are 3,622 kilometers between Mexico and Canada, and 1,629 kilometers between the USA and the Aztecs state. For this reason, the tour costs are small and you can go there on your own by car at any convenient moment.
- First-rate services — conforming to WHO experts, the quality of healthcare in Mexican private dental clinics is comparable to the quality of healthcare in American clinics. Mexican tooth experts have vast experience, use innovative technologies and materials made in the USA, Europe, or Israel, and provide treatment according to international protocols.
- Quality assurance — Mexican doctors are so confident in the quality of their services that they give a guarantee for dental implants for at least a year.
- Availability — there are no long queues in Mexican dental clinics compared to British centers. Therefore, you can plan dental implantation in Mexico for any date convenient for you.
- Language — although the official language of Mexico is Spanish, most doctors are trained in the United States, so they speak English fluently. Furthermore, the Mexican population also understands and can communicate in English due to the large flow of tourists.
- Culture diversity — ancient civilizations, tropical thickets, night discos, and white beaches — all these are combined in Mexico. The birthplace of the Mayans and Aztecs today attracts thousands of tourists with natural sights, rich history, and distinctive culture.
Expense for dental implants in the United Mexican States vs other countries
Conforming to the investigation of the dental implants demand among Bookimed medical travelers, the table shows the most favored directions for dental implantation over the globe and prices for different methods in these countries.
As we can see, Mexico is among the most profitable places the expenses for the tooth implants here are 2-3 times lower than in Europe, Canada, or the USA and the country holds out for the dental implantation price only to Turkey.
Representatives of Bookimed’s partner dental clinics provided prices in the table for informational purposes. All prices are approximate and vary individually for each patient according to his/her anatomical characteristics, test results, preferences.
The price for the dental implant procedure mainly depends on:
- implantation method
- chosen country
- selected dental clinic
- doctor’s experience
- additional services (if desired or required).
How much do dental implants in Mexico cost?
Depending on the dental implant procedure technique, the cost teeth placement in the United Mexican States varies from $680 to $11,300 — it is approximately 75% lower than in the US, Canada, or the UK.
Joseph Woodman, CEO of Patients Beyond Borders, gives an example of the difference in the cost of dental services in Mexico and the United States. Mr. Woodman recently traveled to Cancun to receive dental care. In the US, dental treatment would have cost him $15,900, but in Cancun he paid only $4,010. “So I saved about $10,000,” says Woodman. “And this is not unusual. You can save a lot of money.
The main feature of dental tourism in Mexico is the fact that prices practically do not change depending on the city where the clinic is situated in contrast with other countries. Therefore, regardless of which region you choose for treatment, whether Mexico City, Playa del Carmen, Tijuana, Monterrey, or Guadalajara it will not particularly affect the cost of the full mouth dental implants.
Many dental tourists are wondering why the cost of dental implants in Mexico is so low compared to other countries, or whether there is a chance to save even more. For these and many other questions regarding the price of dental implantation in this Northern American country, you can find in this article.
How much are dental implants in Mexico in 2021?
Best clinics for full mouth dental implants in Mexico
If you want to get the desired result and the smile of your dreams, it is very important to find a reputable dental clinic. To select the best clinic, you should pay attention to several parameters:
- Patient reviews — read the real patient feedback where people who have already got dental implants in Mexico share their experience. So you can understand whether this is a good clinic for you or not.
- Service quality confirmation — pay attention to national and international accreditations/certifications, awards of the clinic. To obtain such documents, the clinic must undergo a series of serious checks, so it is a guarantee of a high-level service, the qualifications of doctors, and availability of modern equipment. Only dental clinics providing good quality services receive official confirmation from the Ministry of Health, JCI (Joint Commision International), International Organization for Standardization (ISO), and other authoritative organizations.
- Clinic’s specialization — choose a clinic that focuses only on dental work. In this case you will be sure that the dental facility has all the necessary equipment and the doctors staff here perform all the necessary dental procedures.
- Modern equipment is an important indicator for quality treatment. The newer the technique, the better the result you will get.
- Dentists’ experience — an international patient-oriented clinic employs only highly qualified doctors with many years of experience and a large number of dental implantations performed.
On the Bookimed website, only up-to-date data on dental treatment in 30+ Mexican clinics are collected. Smile centers are ranked in descending order of popularity and are automatically graded according to:
- the number of patients
- average review score
- relevance of prices and information
- speed of response.
Rankings are updated weekly with new data to ensure you get the most relevant options.
Best Dental Implant Clinics in Mexico
Well, although we do not have additional data such as x-rays, we can anticipate a little that we observe significant damage, what we suggest is a treatment called all on four, with dental implants.
The treatment is carried out in two stages, the first consists of the placement of four implants and a provisional prosthesis, which will remain fixed for several months (4 or 5) and a second phase at the end of these five months, in which a definitive prosthesis.
The first phase has an investment of $130,000 pesos.
$6,845 US dollars.
The second phase is a similar investment, depending on the options you want.
We would like a little more information, such as X-rays and if it is possible to improve the photos. It is also necessary to mention that the suggested treatment is an estimate, by having you present at the dental office, we would know exactly what else we should perform.
If you have any questions, we are here to serve you.
Dr Alberto Guevara
Based on the photographs you sent us, and taking it as a reference, we can offer the following:
Dental implantology treatment with an all on four procedure. For both the top and the bottom. Because we observe significant damage.
The treatment consists of two phases, the first being the placement of four implants, after extraction of the diseased teeth, in the same appointment, and the placement of a provisional prosthesis.
This treatment is suggested based on what is observed in the photographs.
The second phase is the placement of a definitive fixed prosthesis, which will be placed four months after having carried out the first phase.
The estimate for the placement of four implants and the provisional prosthesis is $6,845 dollars per arch, both being $13,690 dollars.
The second phase has a similar investment, and will depend on the materials and what you tell us is best for you.
Being the final treatment of both arches for $27,380 dollars.
We must point out that this price is an estimate and that we depend on additional studies such as computed tomography, which we can carry out here in Cancun.
This will indicate with greater precision the treatment and the final budget.
We look forward to being the one to perform your treatment.
Dr Alberto Guevara
• 6 root canal treatments = $1,232 USD
• 6 dental implants = $6,158 USD
• 6 cores = $664 USD
• 6 porcelain crowns = $2,685 USD
• 6 crowns on implant = $4,737 USD
• 1 extraction = $79 USD
• 6 porcelain veneers = $2,685 USD
We appreciate your interest in us and look forward to your treatment.
Best Mexican clinics for All-on-4 dental implants
Many patients are concerned if there is a possibility for a person that has lost almost all teeth to get a snow-white and beautiful smile without spending a fortune on it? And dentists give a positive answer to this question, drawing attention to the innovative technology of the All-on-4 dental implants.
All-on-4 dental implants is one of the most common and affordable teeth implant techniques. The method is based on the installation of fixed prostheses on four implants and attaching them in the area of the lower or upper jaw.
The specialized Bookimed catalog contains 30 clinics for All-on-4 dental implants in Mexico. There you can read more about each dental facility, compare prices, check the availability of hot offers, and find the best solution for yourself.
All-on-4 Dental Implants Clinics
Best All-on-4 Dental Implants Clinics in Mexico
Best clinics for All-on-6 dental implants in the United Mexican States
To carry out a full-fledged replacement of the dentition with a minimal surgical intervention, dentists apply the All-on-6 teeth implantation. Six titanium rods are implanted into the jawbone, which serve as a support for the removable denture. Dentists carry out the treatment in a short time and with low-traumatic methods that makes it possible to restore all the functions of lost teeth and speed up the rehab period.
To find out more about the best clinics for the dental implant procedure in this Latin American country, choose the best doctor, and find the most affordable All-on-6 price, go to the Bookimed specialized catalog page, which presents 30 leading dental clinics in Mexico.
All-on-6 Dental Implants Clinics
Best All-on-6 Dental Implants Clinics in Mexico
Dental implant tours: the cheapest countries for teeth placement
According to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), about 50 million medical tourists travel around the world annually for medical treatment abroad. This is especially true for treatments that are not covered by insurance like plastic surgery or dentistry.
Dental work is usually prohibitively expensive, especially the dental procedures. That is why people are looking for more affordable options compared to their home countries to restore their smile.
The Bookimed team has analyzed the most frequently chosen countries for dental implants by international patients and has created a list of the cheapest ones:
The average savings rate
up to 75%
up to 80%
up to 75%
up to 50%
The estimated percentage of savings on dental implants in the table is indicated in comparison with the countries from which the largest flow of dental tourists comes — the USA, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
If you want to know more about the prices of dental implants in these countries, find an answer to the question why they are so cheap there, learn more information about the quality and features of implantation there, read the Bookimed’s research article:
Cheap dental implants
Cheap dental implants abroad — savings without quality loss
In order to allow themselves a beautiful smile and not go bankrupt, people go for teeth implants to other countries where prices are at least half lower. But where do they usually go? In this article, you can see the places for installing the cheapest dental implants in the world according to Bookimed research. Check the clinics, compare the prices and learn how to reduce the price even more.
Other available options to get dental implants worldwide
Of course, not only low prices drive international patients when choosing a country for dental implants. The level of service quality and the doctors’ qualification are equally important. There are countries that offer excellent teeth treatment by world-class doctors, but at a higher cost than the countries on the list above. Among the most famous are South Korea and Spain.
In fact, there are a huge number of options for dental implantation in the world for every taste and pocket. You can choose the country where the price, care quality, dentists’ qualification, and its cultural characteristics suit you best. Read more about the countries and dental implants costs in the Bookimed review article:
How much do dental implants cost?
You can learn about dental implants cost and find out what kind of implants you want to install. Compare the prices and choose the most appropriate place for implants
Mexico is a country where all the necessary options for a quality smile restoration are available. In every city and region of the country, there are a sufficient number of private dental facilities whose level meets the standards of healthcare in the United States.
Saving money on dental implants up to 75% is a very big advantage of Mexico, especially for Americans, Canadians and Britons for whom dental implantation is not covered by insurance and the prices in their home countries are very high. 60% of dental tourists in Mexico are from the US and Canada.
The country has a great number of experienced and highly qualified specialists. Most of them speak English that greatly simplifies communication for most foreigners who come to Mexico for dental implants. In addition, Mexico is a perfect place to combine implantation with a vacation in the country of ancient civilizations.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
The price of dental implants in Mexico starts from $680 and can reach $16,000 depending on the teeth number to install, the procedure technique, the clinic’s brand name, and dentist’s fee. The dental expenses in Mexico is 2-3 times (approximately 75%) lower than in the United States, Canada, or Britain.
Dental implantation itself in Mexico is a safe full mouth reconstruction procedure, if you choose a proven clinic and a skillful doctor. In private clinics, doctors with American education work and are guided only by international treatment protocols.
No special vaccinations are required to visit Mexico. However, you should eat cooked foods, pasteurized milk, and bottled or boiled water. In crowded places, you should beware of pickpockets, and use only officially registered taxis to get around the city. In addition, tourists are advised to travel only by car, bus and train during the day, and avoid provincial areas. In tourist centers and resorts it is quite safe: the tourist police are working everywhere.
The response to this question will be dissimilar for patients, since they pay attention to different criteria when choosing a country. Mexico is recognized as one of the best countries for dental implants in the world due to the ratio of high quality and low price. Other popular countries for dental implantation are Thailand, Turkey, and Hungary.
Compared to the USA or Canada, dental work in Mexico is definitely cheaper. For example, if the dental implants in Mexico cost from $680 per tooth, then in the United States and Canada the price can reach $1,500-$3,000 per tooth dental implantation in Mexico is at least 55% cheaper. Savings in this country can be up to 80% depending on the tooth placement method.
They say that the best dentists practice in the USA, Britain, Canada, Finland, and Switzerland. But as you know, the prices for dental services there are very high and not everyone can afford them.
Surprisingly, Mexico is also in the list of top 10 countries where the best dentists in the world practice. Local practitioners have received US qualifications, have undergone preparation in American dental clinics, and have extensive experience. One of the reasons Mexico is regarded as the world leader in dental tourism is the high level of qualification of Mexican dentists.
- Newsweek (2019). Thousands of Americans are Crossing the Border Into Mexico Every Year to Get Affordable Medical Treatment. https://www.newsweek.com/thousands-americans-cross-border-mexico-affordable-medical-treatment-each-1426943
- Brit+Co (2019). This Crisis Sees Millions of People Crossing the Southern US Border Every Year — from the US, into Mexico.https://www.brit.co/medical-tourism-mexico/
- Jet Medical Tourism (2021). Mexico Medical Tourism Grows Due to High Healthcare Costs in US.https://jetmedicaltourism.com/mexico-medical-tourism/
- Gobierno de México — the Federal Government of Mexico (2019). México es la segunda potencia mundial en turismo médico y la primera en turismo dental, afirmó Miguel Torruco Marqués.https://www.gob.mx/sectur/prensa/mexico-es-la-segunda-potencia-mundial-en-turismo-medico-y-la-primera-en-turismo-dental-afirmo-miguel-torruco-marques-201114
- Medical Tourism Association. Mexico.https://www.medicaltourism.com/destinations/mexico
- National Public Radio (NPR). A Reason To Smile: Mexican Town Is A Destination For Dental Tourism.https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/06/09/318212444/a-reason-to-smile-mexican-town-is-a-destination-for-dental-tourism
- World Health Organization (2020). Mexico. Health system review.https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/334334/HiT-22-2-2020-eng.pdf
- Yucatan Magazine (2019). Medical tourism in Mexico attracts up to 1M U.S. travelers yearly.https://yucatanmagazine.com/medical-tourism-in-mexico-attracts-up-to-1m-u-s-travelers-yearly/
- The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Medical Tourism: Treatments, Markets and Health System Implications: A scoping review. https://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/48723982.pdf
- International Medical Travel Journal (2021). USA-Mexico cross border medical travel.https://www.imtj.com/articles/usa-mexico-cross-border-medical-travel/
- Own Your Own Future (2021). What Country Has The Best Dentists In The World (And The Best Teeth)?https://www.ownyourownfuture.com/what-country-has-the-best-dentists-in-the-world/