Medically reviewed by
Minutes to read: 9 minutes
Millions of people worldwide improve their appearance with plastic surgery operations: they reshape breasts, noses, and get rid of fat. Improper ear shapes may also affect a person’s look: you can feel unconfident, hide them with hair or accessories. The only way to solve this cosmetic defect is otoplasty. In 2018, about 23,000 otoplasty procedures were performed in the USA, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons statistics. Another study shows that 94% of patients say that their appearance improved a lot after an ear correction procedure.
By reading the article, you will learn more about:
- How much does otoplasty cost worldwide?
- What clinics offer ear pinning packages?
- Where can you find the most affordable deals?
What is the Average Cost of Otoplasty?
An approximate cost of otoplasty is $3,736 in the USA, according to the official statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. In most cases, it will not include general anesthesia, some medical consumables, and other expenses. The approximate price for otoplasty is $2,050 according to Bookimed. You can get an online consultation to determine the most proper ear surgery destination and the final fee to fit your budget. The prices of Bookimed and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons are slightly different because Bookimed shows prices for otoplasty in more than 30 countries worldwide. The online service aims to help you save money and get the same otoplasty procedure outside the USA clinics.
Otoplasty Price Range
According to the Bookimed data, the average cost of ear pinning is around $2,050, the maximum is $10,300, and the lowest is $240. The internal statistics of Bookimed are based on the partners’ clinical data in more than 30 countries. The total price will depend on the country, clinic’s reputation, and otoplasty surgery complexity.
The fee varies dramatically in different countries. For example, it reaches $1,000 in Turkey, and it’s two times more expensive in the USA, starting from $3,736.
|Average cost||Low End||High End|
Otoplasty Procedure Expenses in Brief
- The average price — $2,050
- The lowest price — $240
- The highest price — $10,300
OTOPLASTY PRICE IN THE USA
- The average cost— $3,637
- Surgeon’s fee
- Clinic’s reputation
- Individual prescriptions
- Medical tests
PRICE IN THE UK
- The average cost — $3,500
- Cosmetic (not covered by insurance)
- Reconstructive (covered by insurance)
- Mexico — $2,300
- Turkey — $900
- The USA — $3,736
What Factors Do Affect the Price of Otoplasty?
Ear surgery extension/complexity — if your case is complicated and requires extra modifications, the cost will increase accordingly.
Experience of a surgeon — the more professional and qualified the plastic surgeon is the higher the final cost will be.
Anesthesiologist’s fee — the correct type/dose can affect the surgery outcome and your well-being. Therefore, you must choose an experienced anesthesiologist. Make sure that your doctor has undergone various training and courses. Highly professional experts charge more.
Location — the fee for ear correction differs across countries. Bookimed medical coordinators can clarify the pricing by country.
Clinic reputation — if you choose a clinic with the best reputation and modern equipment, the expenses can climb above average.
Recovery extra expenses — the fee can increase due to follow-ups, prescribed medications, patches, ear strips, and other materials which are essential for your rehabilitation period.
|Type of Otoplasty||Cost Impact|
|Cosmetic||It is a surgery to solve some minor cosmetic issues. The recovery period is short and any age is suitable. The expenses can be minimal.|
|Reconstructive||Reconstructive otoplasty is a more complex process. If you want to fix your serious ear problem, you must expect to have a high total cost.|
Cost of Different Otoplasty Types
There are several types of otoplasty:
- Ear augmentation: if you have small ears or they are not developed enough due to the birth result, you can increase the size of outer ears.
- Ear pinning: thanks to this otoplasty type, a surgeon draws a patient’s ears closer to the head. It is the best solution for ears that stick out from the sides of the head.
- Ear reduction: when a person’s ears are larger than normal, it is called macrotia. Otoplasty is efficient in reducing the size of the ears.
Ear reshaping can be performed for 2 main purposes:
- Cosmetic otoplasty — helps eliminate minor cosmetic defects, such as lop ears, large auricles, and ears’ asymmetry.
- Reconstructive otoplasty — is a more complicated surgery required in case of ear deformities or their absence.
What Does the Cost of Otoplasty Include?
The cost for an otoplasty procedure may include:
- Surgeon’s fee
- Medical consumables
- Individual prescriptions
- Post-surgery rehabilitation
- Additional medical tests.
Note that a set of services, which are listed into the final cost may vary, as some private clinics include transfer from/to the airport, translation services, and even a comfortable stay in a hotel.
Additional Otoplasty Related Costs
When you decide to reshape your protruding ears, you must consider possible pre/post-operative related costs. It is essential to take them into consideration when you calculate the total cost for cosmetic ear surgery in a foreign clinic. Among the most common extra paid services are:
It is essential to count all expenses to choose the best deal abroad compared to the same ones in your country of residence.
How Much Is Otoplasty In the UK?
The care process and equity of UK healthcare are recognized by the Commonwealth Fund. Medical care is on the top in terms of efficiency, safety, and patient orientation. The fees of your chosen otoplasty surgeon is a primary factor that affects the final cost of the procedure in the UK. According to the NHS, the otoplasty prices start at $3,500 and go up to $7,000. The price includes the surgical procedure only without extra expenses.
How Much Is Otoplasty in the USA?
The USA is known to be one of the most expensive countries for plastic surgery. The average otoplasty cost in the USA is $3,736. The fee may vary depending on the state and the otoplasty surgery type. MEdical insurance does not cover these expenses typically. Americans cannot afford such high medical bills. The problem with ears reshaping is that it does not get covered by insurance unless you look for a reconstructive type of treatment. High costs motivate thousands of Americans to look for the same otoplasty surgery in foreign countries.
How Much Does Otoplasty Cost Around the World?
The price of otoplasty differs according to the pricing system of a chosen country. Turkey and Mexico offer the most attractive packages for plastic ear surgery. For example, the average price for otoplasty in Turkey is $2,050, while the same procedure in the USA is around $3,600. Check out the table for otoplasty prices overview worldwide.
Note that the costs for otoplasty in the table below are average and are provided for informational purposes. You should submit a request at Bookimed to find out the exact otoplasty cost.
Best Cinics For Otoplasty Globally
Top Otoplasty Clinics
A standard otoplasty package includes:
consultation with a surgeon
preoperative tests and diagnostics
a discount on airport transfer
1 night in a 4* hotel.
Otoplasty Packages Worldwide
Does Insurance Cover the Cost of Otoplasty?
You should consult the insurance provider to verify your plan and what type of otoplasty it covers. In most cases, insurance doesn’t compensate for cosmetic ear surgery. So you have to be ready to pay the total price. Note that some additional spendings on medical materials, doctor’s fee, and extra facilities may occur. The insurance companies compensate for mainly the expenses for reconstructive otoplasty. You can contact the Bookimed consultant to get the approximate cost for your individual case for ear pinning.
How To Start Today with Bookimed?
If you are interested in otoplasty, Bookimed can assist you in arranging your upcoming trip. Follow the steps to get professional assistance:
Go through available private clinics that offer otoplasty ear procedures.
Submit an online request on the Bookimed site.
The Bookimed consultant will inform you about the deals compatible with your budget.
You arrive at the clinic to start your makeover process.
- Commonwealth Fund. (2020). HEALTH SYSTEM OVERVIEW England. https://www.commonwealthfund.org/sites/default/files/2020-12/2020_IntlOverview_ENG.pdf
- Wikipedia. (2021). Otoplasty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otoplasty
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (2018). Plastic Surgery Statistics Report. https://www.plasticsurgery.org/documents/News/Statistics/2018/plastic-surgery-statistics-full-report-2018.pdf
- National Library of Medicine. (2014). A modification of otoplasty for correcting the prominent ear deformity. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25311308/
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (2020). How much does ear surgery cost? https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/ear-surgery/cost
- NHS. (2019). Ear correction surgery, including ear pinning. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cosmetic-procedures/ear-correction-surgery/