How Much Does Liposuction Cost?
Liposuction is one of the most popular aesthetic procedures globally. Plastic surgeons perform approximately 4,600+ lipo procedures worldwide per hour and this number keeps growing. The operation is aimed at removing extra fat tissue from various parts of the body.
Keep reading to explore what the liposuction cost includes, what constitutes the cost of medical services and how much liposuction of the abdomen, thighs and other areas will cost.
How Much Does Liposuction Cost on Average?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), liposuction typically costs $3,637. The Bookimed team reports that the average surgery price is $3,500. However, this cost is not fixed — it can be lower or higher. According to the internal Bookimed data based on information from partner clinics, the minimum price of lipo is $350 and the highest cost may be up to $30,000. Such aspects as the country, clinic, and type of operation largely determine the cost.
The cost of lipo varies from country to country: for example, it starts from $720 in Turkey, whereas in Spain, lipo costs twice as much, starting from $2,800. The final outlays depend on your medical case and the number of the body areas you want to correct. The more areas the surgeon will improve, the more expensive the operation will be.
Why are prices by ASPS and Bookimed different?
You may have observed that the pricing indicated by Bookimed and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons vary. Why? ASPS determines the average price overview just inside the United States, whereas Bookimed represents the average price in 30+ states worldwide. So, if you want to save money and receive a high-quality operation, explore facilities outside of the United States.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction, sometimes called as lipo, is a plastic surgery aimed at removing excess fat deposits in the problem areas and performed to correct the contours of the figure. Plastic surgeons carry out liposuction on different parts of the body: arms, legs, back, face, neck, stomach, butts, etc.
Contrary to the prevailing stereotype, lipo is not a weight loss procedure and is not indicated for obese people. Its main task is not to reduce a person’s weight, but to change the shape of the body. So people with a body mass index (BMI) over 30 should think about weight loss surgery.
Liposuction expenditures in brief
- The average cost — $3,500
- The minimum cost — $350
- The maximum charge — up to $30,000.
- method of liposuction
- plastic surgeon’s and anesthesiologist’s fee
- clinic’s location
- internal price policy in the country
- equipment level in the facility.
POPULAR LIPOSUCTION TYPES AND THEIR PRICES
- Abdominal liposuction — from $380 to $9,100
- Buttocks liposuction — from $380 to $8,000
- Thighs lipo — from $380 to $9,500
- Back liposuction — from $380 to $8,500
- Love handles lipo — from $380 to $7,200
- Neck liposuction — from $380 to $5,000
- Knee liposuction — from $530 to $5,000
- Tummy tuck and lipo — from $2,500 to $8,100.
- consultation with a plastic surgeon
- the operation itself
- medical exams
- compression garments
- in-hospital stay
- airport-clinic-airport transfers
- translation services.
Factors Affecting the Price
According to the information given by the Bookimed partner clinics, the lipo price depends on such items as:
The Body Areas To Be Corrected And Their Effect On the Procedure Cost
|Body area||Influence on the price|
|Abdomen||a large area is corrected therefore this is the most expensive type of liposuction|
|Butts||the size of the area for the body contouring varies from medium to large, therefore the price of liposuction also varies from average to high|
|Back||the zone of average size is improved therefore the price of liposuction is average|
|Arms||the zone of average size is improved therefore the price of liposuction is average|
|Hips||the zone of average size is improved therefore the price of liposuction is average|
|Tights||the size of the area to be corrected varies from medium to large, therefore the price of liposuction also varies from average to high|
|Knee||the area is small, therefore the price of liposuction is below the average cost|
|Neck||the area is small, therefore the price of liposuction is below the average cost|
|Chin||the area is small, therefore the price of liposuction is below the average cost|
What Does the Liposuction Cost Contain?
Plastic surgery clinics usually indicate the cost for the procedure itself without taking into account expenses during the preparation and postoperative period. As a result, the price of liposuction may be higher than expected. That’s why it’s crucial to understand all factors included in the final price:
- the operation itself
- the fee of the plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist
- the payment of staying in a clinic (if hospitalization is needed)
- meds and materials required during the operation
- compression garments.
Additional lipo costs
A liposuction comes with a number of pre- and post-operative services that are usually paid additionally. Among the extra-cost services are:
- medical exams
- preoperative and postoperative prescriptions
- staying in the hotel
- clinic-airport-clinic transfers .
Some of these costs, however, may be included in the primary price of your procedure. Consult your surgeon ahead to know exactly if these expenses will be included in your final bill.
If you want to save your money and get high-quality liposuction, pay attention to special packages that are provided by some clinics. The lipo packages usually include not only the surgery itself but also all necessary services and supplies for the price of one procedure. However, each clinic offers a unique set of services included in the package. So always specify what expenses the pointed cost covers.
A standard liposuction package consists of:
- liposuction itself
- medical tests
- compression garments
- pre- and postoperative consultation (frequently online).
Pay attention, the lipo packages are time-limited, so you should check their availability in each clinic before scheduling the date of a procedure.
Best Liposuction Deals
How Much Does Liposuction Cost in the United States of America?
The standards of medical care in the United States are quite high. American healthcare is rated as one of the greatest in the world, but it is also the most expensive. Many Americans cannot afford to pay their medical expenses if they do not have insurance. But there’s one more thing to take into account: plastic surgery is one of those specialties that isn’t covered by insurance. Because of this fact, the United States is considered the most expensive country in the world for cosmetic surgery.
According to ASPS, the average liposuction cost in the United States is $3,637. The price varies depending on the number of areas to be corrected and may vary between states. For example, lipo cost starts from $1,000 in California while identical procedure in New York — from $2,000.
The Average Cost Of Liposuction Within the USA
What Is the Lipo Cost in the United Kingdom?
The Commonwealth Fund has named the United Kingdom’s healthcare system the best in the world in categories such as care process and equity — the country’s healthcare sector is among the best globally in terms of safety, efficacy, and patient orientation.
The number of the body areas to be improved and a chosen surgeon’s experience are two key factors influencing the cost of liposuction in the United Kingdom. According to the NHS, the procedure expenses can range from £2,000 (about $3,000) to £6,000 ($8,200).
What Is the Price Of Liposuction Worldwide?
The price of lipo varies according to the country’s internal pricing. Plastic surgery in Turkey and Mexico is considered the cheapest in the world. However, there are some European countries that also offer affordable liposuction — Ukraine and the Czech Republic. You can find in the table below the prices of the operation in different countries.
Please keep in mind that these prices are approximate and are provided by Bookimed partner clinics for informative reasons only. So the cost may change depending on the internal pricing of the clinic and the volatility of currency rates. Before booking the clinic, please specify the liposuction cost.
|Turkey||Mexico||Ukraine||Spain||South Korea||Czech Republic|
Best Clinics for Liposuction
Top 5 cheapest countries for liposuction in the world
Is Health Insurance Going to Cover the Expense of Liposuction?
Before scheduling an appointment, check with your insurance provider whether your plan covers cosmetic operations. Health insurance does not typically compensate for liposuction, so be ready to pay for the operation out of your own pocket.
Please note that except for liposuction you also can face some additional expenditures — supplies, bandages, and operating room amenities. To obtain a preliminary cost estimate for your specific situation, contact the Bookimed medical coordinator.
Liposuction with Bookimed
- Bookimed is a platform for cooperating with top health centers and healthcare experts from all around the world. The company works with over 760 clinics in more than 30 countries.
- Medical coordinators, who have medical education, give assistance to the international patients. As a result, they provide people only with relevant information regarding clinics and specialists.
- Only the leading clinics and surgeons are included in the Bookimed ranking. The top list is based on patient reviews, national and international achievements, the quality of equipment used, experience, and certifications.
- With Bookimed you can get liposuction safely and quickly. A Bookimed medical coordinator assists you in finding the most profitable offer in your case and organizing your trip. You just need to arrive at the clinic and have the procedure. During your journey, the coordinator will keep in touch with you to assist in resolving any difficulties that may arise.
Why Is an Operation Abroad the Best Option?
You can not only get liposuction but also have a memorable vacation in a beautiful country with its unique culture, traditions, and cuisine.
How to Start Today with Bookimed?
- Wikipedia. (2021). Healthcare in the United Kingdom. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_the_United_Kingdom
- PubMed. (2011). Examining quality and efficiency of the U.S. healthcare system. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21916090/
- World Population Review. Best Healthcare in the World in 2021. https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/best-healthcare-in-the-world
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Who is a good candidate for liposuction? https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/liposuction/candidates
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. How much does liposuction cost? https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/liposuction/cost
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. ISAPS International Survey on Aesthetic Procedures performed in 2019. https://www.isaps.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Global-Survey-2019.pdf