Medically reviewed by
What is the Cost of Korean Plastic Surgery? — Real Prices & Packages
Why do International Patients Choose South Korea for Plastic Surgery?
- Korea has high standards of medical care controlled by the local Ministry of Health and Welfare and authoritative international organizations as JCI (Joint Commission International).
- Plastic surgery clinics in Korea are equipped with advanced medical technology. Most of the equipment is produced in South Korea by leading manufacturers like Hyundai, Samsung, LG.
- Korea has one of the best aesthetic surgery schools in the world. Many foreigners come to study at universities in South Korea and learn from the local doctors’ invaluable experience.
- Korean clinics have a loyal pricing policy. Most medical services, including aesthetic surgery, are up to 40% cheaper than in the United States or some European countries.
How Much Does Plastic Surgery in South Korea Cost?
How Much can You Save Getting Plastic Surgery in South Korea vs. Other Countries?
|Procedure||South Korea||United States||United Kingdom||Spain||Italy|
|Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery)||$1,000 - $6,600||starting $3,282||$2,800 - $4,400||$2,250 - $11,100||$7,250 - $10,900|
|Rhinoplasty (nose job)||$790 - $8,500||starting $5,409||$4,700 - $8,600||$3,900 - $11,500||starting $13,300|
|Facelift surgery||$1,800 - $14,000||$7,700 - $11,780||$5,500 - $13,900||$5,550 - $12,900||starting $4,400|
|Hair transplant||$3,900 - $8,000||$4,000 - $15,000||$4,150 - $20,770||$5,500 - $11,000||$4,900 - $9,700|
|Liposuction||$2,000 - $24,500||$4,000 - $20,000||$2,800 - $8,300||$2,800 - $14,100||starting $9,800|
|Breast augmentation (boob job)||$3,300 - $20,700||$5,000 - $12,000||$4,850 - $11,000||$3,200 - $15,800||starting $12,900|
|Otoplasty (ear surgery)||$2,450 - $5,200||$3,000 - $5,000||$3,500 - $4,850||$4,150 - $10,700||starting $2,480|
What Does the Cost of Plastic Surgery in South Korea Depend On?
The pricing issue is exceptionally relevant for international patients since there are no financial opportunities to solve their aesthetic problems, and insurance does not cover plastic surgery. That’s why choosing a country offering cost-effective plastic surgery as South Korea is the only way out of the situation.
The cost of plastic surgery in Korea depends on:
- the type and complexity of the surgery
- the qualifications and authority of the plastic surgeon
- preparatory step — various diagnostics and examinations
- the number of additional services needed (drugs, consumables, implants, structures, etc.)
- type of surgical technique (use of innovative technology or classical method)
- type of anesthesia (local, general anesthesia).
The cost of the rehabilitation in the clinic is calculated separately.
Packages & Promotions
When calculating the cost of the plastic operation in South Korea, keep in mind that you will also have to pay for the examination, in-hospital stay, and recovery.
However, the large influx of medical tourists and the great demand for plastic surgery have led to significant competition between clinics. Most Korean clinics offer promotional prices for cosmetic procedures or, even more often, package prices to attract patients. So you can always find a medical center that allows you to save money without risking beauty and health.
A plastic surgery package in South Korea usually includes:
- the surgery itself
- transfer from/to airport
- pre- and postoperative care
- consultation with a plastic surgeon
- accommodation at a reduced price.
For the same price, you get not only the procedure but also some necessary additional services. Usually, plastic surgery packages in Korea are limited in time. Therefore, when booking a clinic, do not forget to clarify the availability of discounts and packages.
In most cases, plastic surgery is a type of outpatient treatment. It means that hospitalization after surgery is not necessary, and the patient can return home.
The first 24 hours after the operation are the most difficult — during this period, complications associated with anesthesia and heavy bleeding are most possible. During this period, you can stay in the clinic.
In some days after the procedure, follow-ups are needed. Therefore, book accommodation near the medical center. It can be a hotel room or a rented apartment. Besides, living near the clinic is also beneficial and helps save time and money getting to the hospital.
A rented apartment is usually cheaper. But Korean clinics often provide discounts on accommodation in neighboring hotels, and it may be even less expensive. So check the availability of such a service before booking accommodation.
The number of days of stay depends on the type and complexity of the plastic surgery. When consulting a surgeon, ask how long you need to stay in the country. Knowing the exact number of days you need to stay in South Korea will be easier to choose the most profitable accommodation option.
What postoperative care will you need?
Depending on the operation’s complexity, some patients need help with dressing, eating, and performing hygiene procedures for at least a few days after the process. Find out if the medical staff will provide you with such assistance in the chosen clinic and for how long.
How can the moving affect the postoperative period?
Even without any surgery, sitting for a long time in an airplane or car increases the risk of deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in the veins of the legs) and pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the vessels of the lungs). After surgery, this risk increases because it will be difficult for you to stand. Most likely, you will have to take a specific position to avoid pressure on the postoperative area. Ask how long after the operation you should stay in the county and follow your surgeon’s advice.
What are the restrictions after the surgery?
The usual vacation activities like swimming, sunbathing, and drinking alcohol are not recommended after plastic surgery. Lifting heavy suitcases, long walks or standing on your feet also often accompany holidays abroad. It would be best if you avoided these after the operation.
How Long Does Recovery After Plastic Surgery in South Korea Take?
- in cash directly at the clinic
- by credit card
- bank transaction.
Korean Celebrities Who Changed Their Appearance
The South Korean actress is famous for her roles as a simpleton in the TV series My Girlfriend, Green Rose, and the Slave Hunters. The Korean woman openly admitted that she had plastic surgery. The actress explained this with a tendency to obesity.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The usage of minimally invasive and gentle techniques is a distinctive feature of plastic surgery in South Korea. The local doctors also pay much attention to speeding the rehabilitation period. Therefore, cosmetic procedures in the country are performed with laser and endoscopic technologies that are low-traumatic and safe.
A circular (full) facelift is the most effective procedure in the fight against age-related skin changes. The procedure’s cost varies from $1,800 to $14,000, depending on the clinic’s brand name and the doctor’s experience. The average price of a full facelift in South Korea is $7,600.
- Bookimed (2019). Best places to get plastic surgery for Americans: Top 5 countries. https://us-uk.bookimed.com/article/best-places-to-get-plastic-surgery-for-the-americans-top-5-countries/
- Sayah Institute. Extreme Plastic Surgery Causing Confusion at Airport Security in Asia. https://www.drsayah.com/blog/extreme-plastic-surgery-causing-confusion-at-airport-security-in-asia/
- Insider (2018). People have the wrong idea about the 3 most popular procedures in South Korea, the plastic surgery capital of the world. https://www.businessinsider.com/south-korea-plastic-surgery-gangnam-biggest-misconception-2018-6
- Bookimed (2019). Best places to get plastic surgery for Britons: Top 7 countries. https://us-uk.bookimed.com/article/best-places-to-get-plastic-surgery-abroad-top-8-clinics/
- Statista (2021). Number of foreign patients who visited plastic and cosmetic surgery departments in South Korea. https://www.statista.com/statistics/804273/south-korea-foreign-plastic-surgery-patient-number/
- Bookimed (2019). Medical tourism to South Korea. https://us-uk.bookimed.com/article/medical-tourism-to-south-korea/